Need a quick guide on who to support, where to volunteer, who do donate to and more while you wait for book to come out? This is a cheat sheet that has been up on my Patreon page since Kennedy announced his retirement.
You want to save abortion? Here’s where to start now:
1) Contact a local or national abortion fund. Give a donation once now, or, even better, become a monthly donor.
2) Get involved with your state NARAL affiliate (state list here)
3) Support an escort group
One good way to support escorts in general, or if you do not know your own local group, is to contact and support Clinic Vest Project.
4) Find a local reproductive justice organization to work with. RJ orgs are often WOC lead and work with local communities in an intersectional way that makes them the best frontline for helping people access care.
Kentucky Health and Justice Network – Kentucky
New Voices for Reproductive Justice – Cleveland, Ohio
Restoring Our Own Through Transformation – Columbus, Ohio
Sister Song – Georgia
Feminist Women’s Health Center – Georgia
IndyFeminists – Indiana
Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund
New Voices for Reproductive Justice – Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Young Women United – New Mexico
Women’s Rights and Empowerment Network – South Carolina
Sister Reach – Tennessee
Healthy and Free Tennessee
Richmond Reproductive Freedom Project – Virginia
WV Free – West Virginia
5) Support a group that offers practical support such as lodging, food and transportation:
POWER House – Alabama
Alabama Reproductive Rights Advocates
Access Reproductive Care Southeast (AL, GA, FL, MI, SC, TN)
Arkansas Abortion Support Network
Access Women’s Health Justice – California
Women With a Vision – Louisiana, New Orleans
New Mexico Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
Haven Coalition – New York
Brigid Alliance – New York
Cascades Abortion Support Collective – Oregon
Clinic Access Project – Texas, Houston
Cicada Collective – Texas, North
Frontera Fund – Texas, Rio Grande Valley
Bridge Collective – Texas, DFW
6) Support an all options, secular, non-judgmental pregnancy center like All Options in Indiana
7) Learn about and support legal groups working to keep abortion accessible
SIA (Self-Induced Abortion) Legal Team
Center for Reproductive Rights
ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project
8) Know and support independent abortion clinics
These vetted independent providers put a patient’s experience first, and will ensure their safety and comfort. Many accept direct assistance to help more patients. You can also donate directly to their organization, the Abortion Care Network.
9) Learn about what your state will look like without Roe:
What if Roe Fell – Center for Reproductive Rights
Abortion Policy in the Absence of Roe – Guttmacher Institute
10) Learn all you can about medical protocols and self-induced abortions, where medications can be obtained and how they are used. Information is legal and available for sharing.
Self-Managed Abortion, Safe and Supported (SASS) – www.abortionpillinfo.org
Use the Plan C report card to find providers of legitimate pills
11) Support medical groups trying to keep providers trained.
12) Support Plan B availability – but do it RESPONSIBLY
Don’t buy out a store – people need it on shelves for a true emergency. Here are better options:
Buy online. You aren’t in a hurry. Wait it out. Online places can restock, but pharmacies take longer. Don’t take all of the packages, when someone with a real emergency might find an empty shelf.
Don’t get more than you reasonably need – it expires in 3-4 years. And remember that there is a weight limit to its efficiency. Be sure to be prepared to follow up if it doesn’t work.
CALL or visit all of your pharmacies in person. Make sure they are aware that you are checking to see if it is in stock. If not, ask who to talk to. If it is, thank them and ask who to contact to thank the company.
Find your local repro rights or repro justice group (see above links). Ask if they are doing work to deliver EC. If so, give them the funds to purchase and/or offer to help deliver for them and expand their reach.
Groups that do Plan B delivery:
Plan B NOLA (New Orleans area)